Tom Wolfe coined “plutography,” which deserves to be in wider use, to describe television shows like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous and magazines like Architectural Digest. Our new weapons are mind-blowing, to be sure, and I’m happy we have them, but there is something unseemly about the way the TV reporters slobber over them. So what’s a suitable analogous coinage? Paging Dr. Weevil

Aaron Haspel | Posted March 22, 2003 @ 12:55 PM | Language

5 Responses to “Neologism Shoutout”

  1. 1 1. John Hinchey

    Yes, "slobber" is exactly the right word. As for your word, how about "fulminolatry?"

  2. 2 2. C.Bloggerfeller


  3. 3 3. Bill Kaplan


  4. 4 4. ellie


  5. 5 5. Jim

    I’ve heard "warnography," from a blogger who runs a site focused on a different kind of -ography.

Add a Comment

Basic HTML acceptable. Two-link limit per comment.